All About CS Executive
n order to become a company secretary an individual needs to opt for the CS Exams which are conducted by ICSI on a national level. ICSI stands for Institute of Company Secretaries of India which is the only professional body for promoting, developing and regulating the profession for Company Secretaries. There are three levels of exams which are The CS Foundation Programme, CS Executive Programme and CS Professional Programme. CS Executive is the second level of examination in becoming a Company Secretary. After clearing the CS Foundation exam(First level of examination) the second level of examination is that of The CS Executive. CS admissions are open throughout the year but the exam for the same is conducted only twice a year which is June and December.
In three cases the candidates can directly opt to give the CS Executive exams and is exempted from giving the CS Foundation exams which are:-
- The candidates who have already passed their graduation(in all fields except Fine Arts) can take exemption from the giving the Level 1 exam of CS.
- If a candidate has passed the entrance exam of the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) or the Institute of Cost Accountants of India (ICMAI) the individual is eligible to take direct entry into the CS Executive Programme of the Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI)
- If a candidate has passed the Common Proficiency Test (CPT) which is conducted by the ICAI or of any other Accountancy Institution of India or Abroad recognized by the Board of the Institute.
Those who wish to join CS from Executive Programme level, must get themselves enrolled by February 28 for appearing in both modules in December exam in the same year; or by August 31 for appearing in both modules in June exam next year. In case one wants to appear in a single module in the June Examination in the next year; they must enroll themselves in the Executive Programme by November 30.
The syllabus of the CS Executive is divided into two modules which will be discussed in brief below
- Company Law
- Tax Laws
- Setting up business entities and closure
- Jurisprudence, Interpretation and General Laws
- Corporate and Management Accounting
- Securities Laws and Capital Markets
- Economics, Business and Commercial Laws
- Financial and Strategic Management
A total number of 10 attempts are allowed for the CS Executive exam and a candidate is declared passed in the Foundation/Executive/Professional exam if the candidate scores a minimum of 40% in each paper in each sitting and 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects.
The fees breakdown for CS Executive Exam is as follows
- Registration fee= Rs. 1500
- Foundation Examination exemption fee= Rs. 500
- Tuition fee= Rs. 5000
- Examination form fee= Rs. 900